If you suspect your partner, parent, child, friend or work-mate is doing it tough, there are many things you can do to help get them on the right track. Some practical tips include:
- Ask the person if they are ok
- Let the person know if you’ve noticed a change in their behaviour
- Spend time talking with the person about their experiences and let them know that you’re there to listen without being judgmental.
- Suggest the person see a doctor or health professional and/or offer to help them make an appointment.
- Offer to go with the person to the doctor or health professional.
- Help the person find information about mental health from a website or library.
- Encourage the person to try to get enough sleep, exercise and eat healthy food.
- Discourage the person from using alcohol or other drugs to feel better.